Thursday, May 25, 2023

AMA - Thoughts on Tyson Fury & Jon Jones Controversy

I got a good laugh at this question, as I'm a musician, not a fighter (and when I fought, I was average at best, and that was long ago).

Be that as it may, I figured it might be fun to weigh in on this.

"Did you hear what Joe Rogan said about Tyson Fury and Jon Jones? Now Tyson & Jones are talking back and forth on social media. Who do you think would win?"

Yes, I heard what Rogan said, yes I heard some of the back and forth (though not sure of the chronology or who said what first following Joe). Who do I think would win?

Well, I think boxing and MMA are two entirely different sports. Sure, they're both combat sports. But understand the rule set of boxing and the rule set of MMA are radically different, and the salient point of "different" in this case is that boxing enjoys a MUCH more limiting rule set.

So how a fight between them would turn out? 

Tyson Fury is arguably the baddest man on the planet in a boxing ring. Jon Jones is arguably the baddest man on the planet in the MMA ring.

I say "arguably" in both cases because there are other heavyweight boxing champions in boxing (WBA, IBF, etc) who would dispute that...and other heavyweight MMA champions (ONE, PFL, Belator, etc) who would dispute that.

But if we can agree that Fury & Jones are the two baddest men on earth, its down to who would win.

Now, Fury already stated explicitly that he is a boxer, not a "cage fighter". But he also responded to Rogan's "...if the two were locked in a room..." scenario, meaning no rules, which is MUCH closer to the MMA rule set.

While I think this could be a more interesting fight than Rogan seems to think, I'll cut right to the chase. With all due respect to Tyson Fury, his many amazing accomplishments, and his Herculean skills in the ring, the odds are clearly and without dispute in favor of Jon Jones. By a long shot. Not only is Jones a two division champion, he is a man of, well...inhuman ability. 

But one might also go so far to say that Fury would not make it into the Top Ten in not only the UFC, but other MMA promotions. Francis Ngannou (former UFC heavyweight champion), Ante Delija (current PFL heavyweight champion), Ryan Bader (current Bellator heaveyweight champion), and others would all enjoy similar odds.

I might go further and say that Fury would be hard-pressed to stand toe-to-toe with the current crop of Muay Thai fighters in his general weight range, for that matter. Again, these men can not only punch, but throw elbows, knees, and kicks. Fewer rules to follow, and more weapons with which to attack.

So.....while I'm and lucky Tyson Fury won't read this, so I'll never have to worry about him kicking my ass for this opinion (hahaha!), it is in a boxing ring he works his magic, and in the boxing ring where none of the above-mentioned men would want to meet him with the boxing rule set.

But in a minimal rules fight (or Rogan's locked room)?

Jon Jones, on this day, and on any day. Without qualification.

Full stop.





No comments:

Post a Comment