Sunday, January 1, 2023

January...."Lifestyle Challenge" and a 2023 Challenge

HELLO January & hello 2023!

I hope this note finds you each happy & well, and looking forward to new challenges for both January AND for the entire year!

Let's take a look first at SHORT-TERM goals using our usual format....

Monthly Lifestyle Challenge

For those new to the challenges, it isn't to compete against others. It's to push yourself to greater heights, have some company & inspiration along the way, and a few ideas the help get us focused. For example, you can use this waving of the analytical knife to help organize your goals:

1) Exercise/Diet - Set a specific plan or goal(s). Keep us posted weekly (or more) on your progress!

2) Creativity - Music, art, writing, acting...set a goal to complete by month's end. Keep us posted!

3) Personal life - Re-affirm your personal relationships, get to that project/chore you've been avoiding, or just read a book you've always wanted to read!

4) Professional life -
Set a work goal or change jobs or....just tell us what it is and keep us posted!

I will post some of my goals in the comments below.

New Year Goals

We typically use a similar format to set goals/resolutions for the year...but I have a simple challenge for you, in addition to whatever specific goals you have...and I'll be doing a version of this, also!

Again, in addition to whatever your normal workout would be, choose a particular exercise (I'll be doing both pull-ups AND push-ups) and do 23 reps every single day of 2023! 

If you can commit to this small task (60 seconds per day?), you will have managed well over 8000 reps by year's end! To be precise, 8,395 reps!

So....there's your challenge!

And yes, I'll be doing these 8000+ reps in addition to whatever my normal reps would be for these exercises (Lex Fridman has said 24000 pull-ups for 2023, so I'm looking to top that....and interestingly, if I do the 23 reps three times per day, that's 69/day, the total will be 25,185 by year's end).

Please feel free to keep us posted in the comments below or, if you wish to be more private about it, keep me posted via DM, text or email!

Novus Annus....and stay fierce, my friends!

Post Script: I was asked about the different courses I've taken over the years. I try to do at least one college course every year and have for many years, studying everything from Greek Myth to Music to Economics to Philosophy. My primary resources are Open Culture (1700+ courses) and, in recent years, EdX (3000+ course). Between the two, they've allowed me to access old lectures as well as register for classes from MIT, Berklee School of Music, Standford, NYU, and more. For musicians, I highly recommend all 11 hours of Leonard Bernstein's music lecture series, "The Unanswered Question" (Harvard)....available directly from Open Culture.

=====
If you value my work and want to support it......contact me for lessons (guitar, electric bass, ukulele, social drumming, songwriting, etc) or feel free to leave a tip (one-shot or monthly):

PayPal (one-time or monthly options)
http://www.paypal.me/skinnydevilmusic

Venmo (one-time only)
www.venmo.com/David-McLean-47

http://www.skinnydevil.net
http://www.sdmlguitar.com


3 comments:

  1. For the record....my 2023 goals include (but are not limited to - I may do a complete public lost later):
    1) 25,000 pullups & 10,000 pushups (maintain "fight weight")
    2) One new album release & monthly posts at SD Universe and SD Magazine
    3) Assist my kids in several key areas
    4) Increase Patreon subscribers by 10x (plus re-organization complete by Feb) and meet income goals in private lessons, group lessons, live performances, workshops/clinics, & other avenues
    There ya go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Rejoining my gym. At least 4 times a week workout and do a session in the sauna/steam room. Yoga/stretching at home.
    2) Walk/run with my dog Denis - goal average 14,000 steps a day.
    3) A hike with elevation twice a week (as long as it isn't raining all week :)
    4) Focus on a mediterranean eating routine and pursue an overall healthy lifestyle.
    5) Continue learning about the latest psychology and neuroscience research. Continue research on weird studies & monster theory. Apply both to my teaching and develop projects to share with others.
    6) Build community and provide opportunities for others.

    ReplyDelete