|On-stage at Lexi-Fest Festival 2016|
Really, it's the same as our lifestyle challenges, but those got few and far between, with most comments happening on social media instead of here. So the idea here is to use this post as a PLACE to go to keep track of your goals, keep them at the forefront of your mind, and help each other stay focused....not to mention, sometimes we can help each other on the journey by some sort of collaborative effort.
Sooo....here are some of my goals:
1) HEALTH / FITNESS - As evidenced by past posts, my work-outs are pretty intense. But they often are too sporadic and mostly without any goals in mind. That's OK for the most part, but I thought I'd set some goals this time....and those should be done based on the FIVE (5) components of fitness (cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, body composition, and flexibility)
|ODIS photo at 50th birthday|
B) Muscles (strength/endurance) - This is also simple in that I just need to make sure I work out with my standard body weight (and occasional light weights) 3X per week....though, when possible, I'd like to add more heavy weight work-outs (something not do-able immediately). I'll likely set a few goals throughout the year at specific times (100 pull-ups in 3 minutes or max reps of pull-ups uninterrupted).
C) Body Composition - I'm pretty cut, but I really have no idea what my current composition is. I'm guessing about 15% body fat. I'd like to cut that in half, but ultimately maintain an average of about 10%.
D) Diet - Definite re-commitment to my quasi-paleo high-raw lifestyle. I've experimented a LOT over the past 2 years. It's all good, but I think the raw/paleo (with not so much meat) is where its at for me at this juncture.
2) GUITAR PLAYING - I spend a lot of time drilling scales and such with students, and time rehearsing for particular projects. What I haven't done enough of in the past few years is set goals and grab them. Soooo
A) Fingerstyle goals - (I'll include tabs or exercises or video examples later) include increasing my "DI" style approach by being able to play the ostinato at half the time of the bass melody lines; solidify my bass drone blues playing; nail down a handful of the Travis & counter-point drills; write at least 3 new instrumentals for solo guitar that feature these and other techniques in my bag.
B) Plectrum goals - include increasing my base speed on scales as well as scale sequences by roughly 10%....and arp work by about the same.
|Onstage 2016 for Prince Tribute|
3) MUSIC - Here is an incomplete list of music goals for the year:
A) Record new music - projects include a FOLK project (with focus more on vocals, vocal harmonies, and traditional songs - thinking a short 3-5 song EP release....an ACOUSTIC ORIGINAL music project with 3-5 songs...and an ORIGINAL ELECTRIC ROCK/FUSION release with 3 incredibly "expansive" pieces (featuring some interesting rhythm ideas, symmetrical harmonies, pseudo modulations/bitonality, and more)...and, see item (C) below.
B) Performances/Workshops - Do at least 4 school clinics, 20 workshops, and 20 solo public performances in 2017 (in addition to any other performances, studio sessions, and the like)....with at least ONE per state in states other than KY (including WV, OH, IN, TN).
C) Composition - Compose & license several "a Personal Note" pieces for commercial use (see below's "business" goals).
4) BUSINESS - Without being as exacting as above (such a delineation will be between me and my biz partners), the reality is that my personal life (coupled with some local and national market trends) have hurt me considerably in the financial realm. It's clearly time to rectify that situation, and fast. HARD GOAL: DOUBLE my annual income in 2017.
|With manager & festival partner Angelee Feltner 2016|
5) PERSONAL - The quick list.....Dress better (this is a directive from the boys, who saw me dressed up several times for gigs and said "Wow, granddad, you should look good all the time!".)....A focus on relationships, though my focus, being single again, will actually be on strengthening ties with FAMILY, and strengthening ties with FRIENDS....maybe test my Othello chops against more humans of advanced skill rather than just battling machines....make time to READ again....considering making a video series as a "notes for my kids" (with "kids" being kids, step-kids, grandkids, etc) covering all the things I should have taught my kids and all the things I'd like to teach my grandkids, but want in concrete form in case old Thanatos [the Bron Samedi, Ankou] comes knocking).....and I'd really like to get better at (and more involved with) communicating - via writing and example - the philosophy of FREEDOM. As in voluntary: whether its communalism, individualism, etc, and how to make it work in the public and private spheres. But more on that last one later.
Sooo...that's about it for now, for me. BUT....
What about YOU???